03 August 2007

Five Years!

What I am reading: DPI
What I am listening to: Your Song by Elton

I watched Day One with Venturo last night and Day Two with Smiley this morning. Really got some more insight into what Charles wanted me to do. When you are riding- in the moment, you see- it's hard to fully grasp some of his stories and techniques- you ride them and understand them, but further clarification from the videos was so beneficial to me. I even caught some jokes and little isms from Charles that had me laughing.

I rode Smiley- really got some exceptional simple changes and nice lateral work. I am really pleased with how he has come along in the last week. The transitions have all become much easier and sharper, and although there are no "quick fixes" in dressage, I feel like a lightbulb went off in my head during the clinic, especially regarding the left.

Today is the 5th anniversary of the day I first rode Smiley. We had JUST moved to HK (within a week), and Mom and I went out to one of the riding clubs that a friend of a friend recommended. The manager, Louise, showed us around and showed us the three available horses. Two were for half livery (originally what I wanted) and one (smiley) was for full. Although I wanted a half livery, something changed my mind when we were there... Louise had the mafoos tack him up quickly while she found me some rubber riding boots and a helmet (no where close to approved, but whatever). I hopped into this saddle (torn and old)... mind you, I've just gotten onto a strange horse in a strange country where I know NO ONE without seeing anyone ride the horse and without any sort of real riding gear.

They wouldn't let me canter him (haha... I later realized why) because he was in the middle of lunch or something... but he seemed really good (haha) and kind of needed some TLC and wanted to give some TLC... so there we went. They "approved" my application, and ten days later, he was "mine". I always figured if it didn't work out, I could always give him back... but after a few days, there was no one I would have. I later discovered that I was his last hope- he was facing an uncertain fate otherwise.

Venturo was also very good today- I mean, he is starting to understand what Charles meant, or better yet- Venturo understands Charles perfectly, but I am starting to be able to systematically apply what Charles taught me and Venturo and I are starting to agree more on what we will be doing together. Small steps, but steps in the right direction.

Smiley is really hating the oral dosing of his supplements. I don't know what to do... Perhaps I should slowly start to introduce a few supplements into his feed. He is finally eating most of his grain without the supplements though.

Had takeout mexican food tonight-

Also, I was reading part of DPI (dressage principles illuminated) last night and the whole chapter on learning and how one is taught- I felt like he had taken my mixed feelings and thoughts and PUT THEM ON PAPER! I just loved the whole section on the importance of equitation, trainers vs. coaches, etc... Really worth reading.

Signing off for tonight-

No comments: