What…a… day. I am writing this at 2:20 am Dallas Time, 12:20 California time. Poppy, Ann, Mom, Dad, and I have been on the trip from hell today.
The morning started out really well- I woke up early enough and finished my packing, even had time to dash over to the barn to say goodbye to Smiley and Venturo. Everyone was packed and ready to go by the time the van showed up at 10:30, we loaded up and had a pleasant trip to Burbank. This, in and of itself, was a surprise as my mom and aunt are not known for their timeliness.
Once we arrived curbside, we had some trouble checking our luggage. For some reason, my 86 year old grandfather is on some “list” and always gets rechecked. The bags got checked though, and we stepped inside, bought some sandwiches and went through security. My carry on bag got rechecked several times (why, I have no idea) and I almost lost my cell phone on the conveyer belt. Once we got to the gate, (which was about 2 feet from security- Burbank is the TINIEST little airport) “they” announced that we would be stopping in Ontario to refuel. My first reaction was, “What the ^$*^#*&?”
It turns out that due to really bad weather in Texas, they needed extra fuel in case the plane couldn’t land at DFW (Dallas Fort Worth Airport)… but, because the runways at Burbank were so short, they couldn’t take off with that much fuel, so they had to stop.
We finally boarded the Super 80, took off, and minutes later, landed in Ontario. By this time, we are already really nervous because we have a tight connection at DFW onto Little Rock, so I give Betty (my aunt, who is supposed to meet us at DFW and fly on with us to LR) a call to let her know we might be late. The pilot assures us that it will be a 15 minute stop to refuel. The minutes tick by and soon we have been sitting there for over a half an hour… then forty minutes… It was so hot in Ontario and no drinks were offered while we waited on the tarmac, but they did want us to close all the windows. Once we did, my Mom got really claustrophobic (which she is not, by nature) and likened the cabin to a coffin. It was really stuffy and the air con was not working properly.
We sat in Ontario for an HOUR in the HOT SUN with NO AC or DRINKS. Thank God that I brought a few healthy snacks (pita chips, etc). I finished up Beach Road and dug into a Sudoku puzzle, then went on to the 6th Women’s Murder Club book, 6th Target. On a tangent- what a twist at the end of Beach Road! I did NOT see that coming AT ALL… I sat there, stunned, and had to reread several times.
Finally, we left Ontario, and the flight crew estimated our arrival at 7:24 Dallas time. We were supposed to get into DFW at 6 pm, leave for LR at 6:50 and get into LR at 8. As soon as we got into DFW (uneventful flight) at about 7:25, I called Betty, frantically, telling her that we were running late for our connection (the flight attendant had said that the flight to LR was likely running late too), but then checked my Mom’s messages.
The first, from Betty, said she was sitting on the tarmac in Wichita, Kansas (?!??!?)- and I exclaimed that she was in Kansas (diverted)… but then she left another message saying that she had had it wrong, she was in Wichita Falls, Texas.
When we got off the plane, we found American’s customer service rep, who directed us to Gate B5. We got on the skylink, and dashed to make our plane. When we got to the gate, it turns out that it had been moved to Gate B4, but we didn’t need to worry about making the flight because the plane had yet to leave LR for DFW- it would be at least two hours before we could leave. A really nice man in the armed services in full uniform said that we were at the correct gate, but the plane might not arrive at all. With this in mind, we positioned ourselves near Starbucks and left a message for Betty and Katie Jo--- Katie Jo is my mom’s cousin who organized the reunion, and she and her mother, Kitty, were going to meet the six of us at the airport.
Mom and Dad went out to see what they could do about the connections and such, and in some way or another, Dad learned that our flight for that evening was cancelled and due to the back up of passengers (the bad weather thing has been going on for a few days), they would only be able to get us on a flight on Friday!!!
At this time, I called Katie Jo and gave her an update, letting her know that we wouldn’t be in Little Rock that evening. She gave us her son, Phillips, number and said that she would get him in touch with us because he lives in Dallas. Phillips is a favorite cousin, always really fun and obviously, really caring after what he did tonight.
At this point, we realized that we were never going to be able to get a flight out of DFW and decided to drive, so Dad and I went downstairs to call car rental places. My first instincts, even when I stepped off the plane, but moreso when I went outside, were how FAMILIAR Dallas felt. I think it was the humidity. I have missed the humidity, and it really felt like “home” – Hong Kong. For the first time in three years, I have felt good in the weather. I love the humidity, and obviously, I live in the wrong place, because California is a desert and drier than a bone.
Dad had already arranged to have our bags sent down to the B7 baggage gate, which the woman said could happen in 15 minutes or up to three hours. This was about 8 pm.
The first place we called wanted $2200 for a large SUV to drive to LR and return to LR in 10 days… No luck at Avis, but National had one for $1700. Sold, to the desperate man and his tired family. This was about 8:30.
We sat and waited on folding cots in the baggage claim area. We finally heard from Betty, who had landed in Dallas and found us. We were all so happy that everyone who was supposed to be together was together and we could make plans as a group without leaving one member stranded. Dad got on the phone with Phillips and he made reservations at the La Quinta Inn by his house, but we really wanted our luggage.
Mom and I went back through security again, got some coffee for her and I grabbed a hot cocoa and a stale apple thing because by this point, despite the family’s pleas that we would sit down and eat, I was dying of hunger. Those pita chips and crackers will only last you so long.
We waited and waited for our baggage, whenever the belt would start up again we would get excited, but finally that subsided. Ann, Mom, Poppy, and I wanted to go through security to get some food- at this point, we were really desperate because Ann, being a diabetic, HAS to eat. However, only ONE security checkpoint was open, and it was 23 gates away- so we walked all the way down to the checkpoint, went through, and walked all the way back to our gates (but on the secure side) to the restaurants. Only one was really open, so we bought them out of turkey and roast beef sandwiches (four in total) and took them out to our cots to eat. This was about 10:30.
Then, I realized that Cary (Ann’s daughter), her husband Daniel, and their three kids, would be coming through DFW tomorrow for their connection to LR. I gave Cary a call and let her know what had happened to us- she was grateful and we both thought things might be better for them because they had a morning flight.
During this time, we got to know some of the other passengers who were waiting for their baggage… people who, like us, were stranded. Everyone was from someplace else, going to another destination, just passing through, but we tried to make the best of the time we had. The people in Dallas, for the absolute most part, were really sweet, accommodating, and friendly. I was really impressed, because I think if the same thing happened in Los Angeles, people would not have been this way.
Finally, around 12 (Dallas time)- after FOUR HOURS of waiting for our luggage- they made an announcement that no more bags would be coming down the belt that night. We were livid. They said to go to another gate and they would have an office there where we could discuss where the bags were to go.
Dad went to get the SUV and Phillips called and wanted to know if he could meet us at the hotel (this was about 12:30)… I said we had to stop and pick up some t shirts to sleep in and at least some toothbrushes. No problem, he said- he would bring some t shirts and toothbrushes for us. Our savior had arrived.
Mom duked it out with the baggage people- finally getting them to agree to deliver our bags to Katie Jo’s house tomorrow. While she was in line to talk to the baggage people, we spotted a “human tissue” marked box as well as a box that indicated that human eye tissue was inside. Both were marked with all sorts of warning and caution signs, but they were just sitting out in the airport.
FINALLY, we got in the Jeep SUV. I navigated, and we made our way to the hotel, where Phillips was waiting with bags of supplies (at almost 2 am!) Bless his heart, (as Katie Jo would say)… I don’t think I have been so glad to see someone in a very long time. We checked in, and made our way to our rooms. He stayed and chatted for awhile, but being as tired as I am, I retired to my room and started blogging this in Word. I am going to tuck myself in- in my borrowed shirt… and rest up to help navigate our way to Little Rock tomorrow. Good night!!!!
The morning started out really well- I woke up early enough and finished my packing, even had time to dash over to the barn to say goodbye to Smiley and Venturo. Everyone was packed and ready to go by the time the van showed up at 10:30, we loaded up and had a pleasant trip to Burbank. This, in and of itself, was a surprise as my mom and aunt are not known for their timeliness.
Once we arrived curbside, we had some trouble checking our luggage. For some reason, my 86 year old grandfather is on some “list” and always gets rechecked. The bags got checked though, and we stepped inside, bought some sandwiches and went through security. My carry on bag got rechecked several times (why, I have no idea) and I almost lost my cell phone on the conveyer belt. Once we got to the gate, (which was about 2 feet from security- Burbank is the TINIEST little airport) “they” announced that we would be stopping in Ontario to refuel. My first reaction was, “What the ^$*^#*&?”
It turns out that due to really bad weather in Texas, they needed extra fuel in case the plane couldn’t land at DFW (Dallas Fort Worth Airport)… but, because the runways at Burbank were so short, they couldn’t take off with that much fuel, so they had to stop.
We finally boarded the Super 80, took off, and minutes later, landed in Ontario. By this time, we are already really nervous because we have a tight connection at DFW onto Little Rock, so I give Betty (my aunt, who is supposed to meet us at DFW and fly on with us to LR) a call to let her know we might be late. The pilot assures us that it will be a 15 minute stop to refuel. The minutes tick by and soon we have been sitting there for over a half an hour… then forty minutes… It was so hot in Ontario and no drinks were offered while we waited on the tarmac, but they did want us to close all the windows. Once we did, my Mom got really claustrophobic (which she is not, by nature) and likened the cabin to a coffin. It was really stuffy and the air con was not working properly.
We sat in Ontario for an HOUR in the HOT SUN with NO AC or DRINKS. Thank God that I brought a few healthy snacks (pita chips, etc). I finished up Beach Road and dug into a Sudoku puzzle, then went on to the 6th Women’s Murder Club book, 6th Target. On a tangent- what a twist at the end of Beach Road! I did NOT see that coming AT ALL… I sat there, stunned, and had to reread several times.
Finally, we left Ontario, and the flight crew estimated our arrival at 7:24 Dallas time. We were supposed to get into DFW at 6 pm, leave for LR at 6:50 and get into LR at 8. As soon as we got into DFW (uneventful flight) at about 7:25, I called Betty, frantically, telling her that we were running late for our connection (the flight attendant had said that the flight to LR was likely running late too), but then checked my Mom’s messages.
The first, from Betty, said she was sitting on the tarmac in Wichita, Kansas (?!??!?)- and I exclaimed that she was in Kansas (diverted)… but then she left another message saying that she had had it wrong, she was in Wichita Falls, Texas.
When we got off the plane, we found American’s customer service rep, who directed us to Gate B5. We got on the skylink, and dashed to make our plane. When we got to the gate, it turns out that it had been moved to Gate B4, but we didn’t need to worry about making the flight because the plane had yet to leave LR for DFW- it would be at least two hours before we could leave. A really nice man in the armed services in full uniform said that we were at the correct gate, but the plane might not arrive at all. With this in mind, we positioned ourselves near Starbucks and left a message for Betty and Katie Jo--- Katie Jo is my mom’s cousin who organized the reunion, and she and her mother, Kitty, were going to meet the six of us at the airport.
Mom and Dad went out to see what they could do about the connections and such, and in some way or another, Dad learned that our flight for that evening was cancelled and due to the back up of passengers (the bad weather thing has been going on for a few days), they would only be able to get us on a flight on Friday!!!
At this time, I called Katie Jo and gave her an update, letting her know that we wouldn’t be in Little Rock that evening. She gave us her son, Phillips, number and said that she would get him in touch with us because he lives in Dallas. Phillips is a favorite cousin, always really fun and obviously, really caring after what he did tonight.
At this point, we realized that we were never going to be able to get a flight out of DFW and decided to drive, so Dad and I went downstairs to call car rental places. My first instincts, even when I stepped off the plane, but moreso when I went outside, were how FAMILIAR Dallas felt. I think it was the humidity. I have missed the humidity, and it really felt like “home” – Hong Kong. For the first time in three years, I have felt good in the weather. I love the humidity, and obviously, I live in the wrong place, because California is a desert and drier than a bone.
Dad had already arranged to have our bags sent down to the B7 baggage gate, which the woman said could happen in 15 minutes or up to three hours. This was about 8 pm.
The first place we called wanted $2200 for a large SUV to drive to LR and return to LR in 10 days… No luck at Avis, but National had one for $1700. Sold, to the desperate man and his tired family. This was about 8:30.
We sat and waited on folding cots in the baggage claim area. We finally heard from Betty, who had landed in Dallas and found us. We were all so happy that everyone who was supposed to be together was together and we could make plans as a group without leaving one member stranded. Dad got on the phone with Phillips and he made reservations at the La Quinta Inn by his house, but we really wanted our luggage.
Mom and I went back through security again, got some coffee for her and I grabbed a hot cocoa and a stale apple thing because by this point, despite the family’s pleas that we would sit down and eat, I was dying of hunger. Those pita chips and crackers will only last you so long.
We waited and waited for our baggage, whenever the belt would start up again we would get excited, but finally that subsided. Ann, Mom, Poppy, and I wanted to go through security to get some food- at this point, we were really desperate because Ann, being a diabetic, HAS to eat. However, only ONE security checkpoint was open, and it was 23 gates away- so we walked all the way down to the checkpoint, went through, and walked all the way back to our gates (but on the secure side) to the restaurants. Only one was really open, so we bought them out of turkey and roast beef sandwiches (four in total) and took them out to our cots to eat. This was about 10:30.
Then, I realized that Cary (Ann’s daughter), her husband Daniel, and their three kids, would be coming through DFW tomorrow for their connection to LR. I gave Cary a call and let her know what had happened to us- she was grateful and we both thought things might be better for them because they had a morning flight.
During this time, we got to know some of the other passengers who were waiting for their baggage… people who, like us, were stranded. Everyone was from someplace else, going to another destination, just passing through, but we tried to make the best of the time we had. The people in Dallas, for the absolute most part, were really sweet, accommodating, and friendly. I was really impressed, because I think if the same thing happened in Los Angeles, people would not have been this way.
Finally, around 12 (Dallas time)- after FOUR HOURS of waiting for our luggage- they made an announcement that no more bags would be coming down the belt that night. We were livid. They said to go to another gate and they would have an office there where we could discuss where the bags were to go.
Dad went to get the SUV and Phillips called and wanted to know if he could meet us at the hotel (this was about 12:30)… I said we had to stop and pick up some t shirts to sleep in and at least some toothbrushes. No problem, he said- he would bring some t shirts and toothbrushes for us. Our savior had arrived.
Mom duked it out with the baggage people- finally getting them to agree to deliver our bags to Katie Jo’s house tomorrow. While she was in line to talk to the baggage people, we spotted a “human tissue” marked box as well as a box that indicated that human eye tissue was inside. Both were marked with all sorts of warning and caution signs, but they were just sitting out in the airport.
FINALLY, we got in the Jeep SUV. I navigated, and we made our way to the hotel, where Phillips was waiting with bags of supplies (at almost 2 am!) Bless his heart, (as Katie Jo would say)… I don’t think I have been so glad to see someone in a very long time. We checked in, and made our way to our rooms. He stayed and chatted for awhile, but being as tired as I am, I retired to my room and started blogging this in Word. I am going to tuck myself in- in my borrowed shirt… and rest up to help navigate our way to Little Rock tomorrow. Good night!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment