14 November 2009

Santa Ynez Valley


I have, fortunately or unfortunately, (depending on how you look at it) spent quite a bit of time in this area. Most of it has been because of extended stays at Alamo Pintado, but it is a really beautiful region. The movie "Sideways" was filmed here, and if you watch it, you can see a lot of the favorite local spots.

One of my favorite places to eat is "Panini" in Los Olivos. They have the most yummy sandwiches. My personal favorite is the turkey and brie on foccacia with honey mustard and a tomato. My "must stop" stop is Nielsens Market, on the corner of 246 and Alamo Pintado road, for Danish Tilset cheese and Anna's ginger thins. Thomas turned me onto this fantastically smelly and delicious cheese, and I love it!!!

Anyway, the reason I am rambling about this, is that we had some cousins visiting from Arkansas and Louisiana this past week. Katie Jo, Nancy, Carol Ann (Nancy's daughter), and their friend, Judy, stayed on Balboa Island and I think, had a fantastic time. Katie Jo wanted to see Solvang, so off they went, and picked us up on the way.

Lunch @ Panini, stopped at Nielsens. They did NOT appreciate the Tilset smell that permeated the car when we got back in after touring Solvang. They picked up some trinkets in the small town... Many of you will recall I often reference Solvang as "a creepy little town" and I stand by that. It's like trying to be faux Europe and sorely misses, feeling like a bad Disneyland. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's cute and definitely a cool tourist trap- and fun to get some bakery items (although what I have had is not equal to what you actually get where *I've* been in Europe) and Nielsens is great... I don't know, it's just kind of creepy how it's psuedo kitsch Europe and then...not... Anyway, we had a lot of fun regardless.

Then, as we were getting in the car, Carol recalled that I had mentioned that Neverland was in the area... I had never been but seemed to remember that you made a right (instead of a left) when you turn to go to Alamo thru Los Olivos. I was right- although not sure about that for awhile since the road went on and on...

Carol: "Wait, something pink! Is that a ride?" (it wasn't)

The gates to Neverland, the former home of the king of pop, were pretty normal. I think you can see that in the picture... but, nonetheless, it was cool to be able to say we had been. Kay, another cousin from Arkansas, called to say that she had seen "This Is It" to which we later said, "No, THIS is IT"

It was really fantastic to catch up with the family and we had a ton of fun and a ton of laughs... and the trip to Neverland, the group decided, really made it worthwhile.

No comments: