18 October 2007

Thursday

I got to the barn today about 7:40, booted Smiley (for the non-horse people- "NHP"- this is when you put protection on all four lower legs and then a pair of boots that goes around the hoof in front so that if he starts to act up, there will be some protection against himself), and took him for a 20-25 minute walk. He was WILD!!! It was VERY cold (about 40/45) and even though he was also sporting a Baker fleece cooler, he just about jumped out of his skin.

I made up his antibiotics with molasses and gave them to him, served him some "carrot soup" (little trick to get him to drink water, courtesy of Derrick, a friend- basically, carrots in water)... Turned on the radio, will have to bring a more high quality one for him.

School was... school. Had a headache, barely had patience in speech class for some of the speeches, alth0ugh there was a very good one on the chemistry of chocolate.

I gave Smiley a bath this afternoon... scrubbed him clean and we went grazing... Of course, up at Alamo they have choice sod quality grass- very thick, lush, cut nicely... Back at the ranch, it's this deadish half green/half brown dry garbage and Smiley was wholly unimpressed with this offering, preferring the dirt. I organized a lot of the meds and got everything rewrapped and put away, dealt with Venturo. Smiley also has the choice JTS shavings which he *loves* (no joke, he actually much prefers the really thick, heavy shavings).

Smiley went for another walk later- he was much calmer this afternoon, thank goodness... his manure was firm, but not formed in balls, so I called Dr. Erin and gave him some of the BioSponge she gave me yesterday. We'll see how things go tomorrow morning. Antibiotics again, some other 1X/day stuff, was given before the unformed manure.

I've been "going with a headache" today, really upsetting to me. I was pretty out of it at one point and asked a friend of mine how his weekend was going... but today is Thursday and I've seen him all week. I am so glad I have nothing due tomorrow, I am trying to relax and decompress tonight and lose some tension. I'm watching Jon Stewart right now- haha- I think I am going to have to get his America book. Any other Stewart or Colbert fans out there?

I am DYING to use my iPhone... but computer trouble is keeping me from doing so. Have to activate it on iTunes... and the old computer... long story... I am thinking I can download audiobooks and listen to them while handwalking.

Tomorrow I have class in the morning, barn before and after, of course. I think my lesson is at 2:15. We are having a big family birthday dinner on Saturday to celebrate--- should be fun..

Talk to you later-

No comments: