What I am listening to: Everything on the iPod
What I am reading: Bill Bryson, about to start a novel
I have to admit, I had a VERY lazy labor day. Mom and Dad watched an old John Wayne movie that was set in Hong Kong (or better yet, John Wayne was trying to get them to HK) this morning, and then I crashed the party and watched Desperate Housewives reruns on DVD this afternoon. Dad and I took our cars over to get them auto washed (sooo cool- you just pay, drive in, and this machine washes your car while you sit in it).
I went to the barn this evening, once it had cooled slightly. Unfortunately, the barn ran out of shavings again, so Dad and I buzzed down to Burbank yesterday to pick up several bags. I just can't have the horses standing on packed DG because they have so few shavings in their stalls, so if I have to buy my own to make them comfortable, so be it. As soon as Smiley had a thick bed of quality shavings underneath him, he went out flat on his side with his head in the pile of hay in the corner.
I am finishing up some anthropology homework tonight. Again, I have been reminded of all that I was exposed to while living in HK... tonight, the homework related back to the Ramayama, a story that I learned all about at HKIS- especially in my Asian Fine Arts Survey class. Sometimes I don't remember all of the details, but I have enough CK to know what is going on.
Of course, we watched Anthony Bourdain's Hong Kong No Res tonight... it was... mediocre. His coverage of the local food was good, but I suppose I was looking for tea in a butcher's shop. I always find the HK travel shows focus too much on "kung fu" and not enough on the real culture. The worst offender is the other one they always show on the travel channel (not, btw, that I don't love the travel channel, it's just when you have lived somewhere they do such a pale job of covering it). Let's see, they always seem to hit Stanley, the big Buddha, a few restaurants (which I'm sure paid to be featured), and in the worst one, some Japanese "hostess" club. Of course, Tony didn't hit any of those, his show never hits the sights... some culture, but not nearly enough.
We also went on a little boat cruise and came home just as the last slivers of light were disappearing on the horizon. I've got a bit more reading to finish up, and then it is off to bed for me.
03 September 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment