Wow... what a book... what a series.
I didn't post last night because I attended a midnight Harry Potter party at Barnes and Noble. I got there about ten, listening to favorite passages from books one through six (really awesome to hear everyone's faves) and played some Scene It Harry Potter. I flipped through some books on the subject (who lives/who dies... predictions). I wanted to get some HP themed food at the Starbucks (especially a warted toad creme, or something like that- basically vanilla flavored milk with brownie chunks) but the line was WAY too long for me. There were all sorts of people there- lots of older teens, adults with and without children, grandparents, etc. It was definitely not an event with a single age bracket. Little kids, teens, and adults all dressed up as their favorite character or item- i.e. a broomstick or dressed as "HP's biggest fan".
I finally got my book- the line wasn't too bad, I was in group "I" and got it about 12:30 ish. I started reading outside the bookstore, waiting for Mom to pick me up (didn't want to hassle with parking since the store was JAMMED!). Got through the first chapter there, and read until about 3 am when I finally crashed. I woke up super late this am, about 10:30, and went to work on the book again...
Went to the barn, rode Venturo VERY lightly (just to get him out). Not much happening over there today with David gone.
When I got home I started back in on the book, finally finishing at 8:14 (!). I WILL NOT spoil anything, but I will say, that it was a FANTASTIC book, rivalling four as my new favourite in the series. It just did not stop at all, nothing was what it seemed and danger lurked around EVERY corner. AMAZING!!! I am going to reread it in a few days to savour it.
I still recall my first taste of Potter. It happened in the spring of my 5th grade year at Catholic school, when a girl in my class brought Book One for our teacher to read. She read it every day before we were dismissed for the day, finishing it the day school ended. I remember her reading the first chapter, and wondering where this story was going, how this "Harry Potter" figure blended in with these nice, normal people (The evil Dursleys). After that, I ran out at bought Book Two, then anticipated Three. Four came out, and turned out to be my favourite. Five came out when I lived in Hong Kong. Dad took me to Central to buy my reserved copy the day it came out, and I remember waiting in lobbies and walking down sidewalks, relishing the newest sequence. I took to my bed that day- it was an overcast, muggy day- and read it in one sitting, crying when Sirius died. I only read that one once. It was so sad, so grave at the end, that I could bare to reread it. Perhaps now that I know the whole story I will be able to. Book Six came out, and I acquired it in Orange County. I rushed from working some horses for my old trainer to buy the book the day it came out (in the afternoon) and read it cover to cover that evening. I liked that one quite a bit more than Five, despite the death at the end.
I have seen all of the movies- a few when I was on holiday in the US. One came out right before I left, and I have fond memories of having to reserve my ticket in advance and then buying the DVD and watching it over and over. Two and Three were good, Four was the best. Everyone knows my thoughts on Five, as I have blogged about them.
Whew, I think I will head off to bed now.
We had a great dinner of steak, potatoes, corn on the cob, and watermelon...
21 July 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment