09 June 2008

Back from the Outer Limits of Space

What I am reading: Balkenhol (again) the newest Murder, She Wrote book
What I am listening to: Coldplay (viva la vida, violet hill), love is free, New Soul by Yael Naim

I KNOW.... it's been WAY too long, but give me a teeny, tiny break... I have been seriously neglecting my emails too, as many of you can attest to. I do read them- it's a matter of responding because I don't have my own computer up in Nipomo with me.

What have I been up to- well, let's start with school- IT'S DONE for the year, thank goodness.
I finished with a 4.0, which means I got an A in every class... and actually got an A on all my finals too, so everything turned out quite well. I do miss my international politics class and my politics and the environment class.

I have been up north full time for almost four weeks. Both of the horses are going really well. We had a CdK clinic last weekend and I had two full rides on both horses, but Smiley got a hot nail after the second day so I rode one of Thomas' horses on the third day, which was a lot of fun. We have another CdK clinic this next weekend and then not another clinic until September... so that's quite unfortunate... but Charles will be in Europe until then.

My Mom is in Arkansas right now, and I have to say, I am really jealous. She has been grave hopping to cemeteries in Bruno, Yellville, etc... visited the Cedar Grove Methodist Church where my Grandmother went to church as a girl... She comes home on Wednesday- I can barely get ahold of her to chat because she has been so busy visiting with people and going places. I think the reason she loved Hong Kong so much is that I think Arkansas culture is closer to Asian culture than it is to general American culture. It is very much more of a collectivist culture rather than individualistic, which is where I think sometimes my mom and I, and other members of our family, have difficulty in dealing with the clash between the two. She really enjoys the closeness and interrelatedness that is inherent with the culture and thrives there.

I really, really want to visit Arkansas before the summer is over. I am trying to figure out when I can do it- the rest of June and first half of July is out, but we'll see about the rest. I went through all of my photos from last summer's trip- and I have to say this. I have been to a lot of places- exotic, fun, really cool places and trips all over the world, and the BEST 10 days I have EVER spent- the most fun I had, most beautiful scenery I have seen- in other words, the best trip I have been on was the Arkansas trip I went on last week. It was so special. I loved the reunion, I loved seeing everyone, the adventures, the stories, the places we went and the things we did... I have so many funny stories and great pictures of fun things... I had so much fun in the Ozarks, seeing family, going tubing, listening to stories... It was just too much fun. I think anyone in the family who WASN'T on the trip missed out BIG TIME...

Anyway, I'm down in Westlake until tomorrow afternoon... Took a few days to spend some time with Dad. The horses needed a few days (two, anyway) before the clinic and Thomas was back to run things... so here I am. We went and saw the Indiana Jones movie today... I thought it was really good-

Oh, environmentalist here is driving to the barn again... I SAW A SNAKE!!!!!!! I was leaving the house after grabbing a bite for lunch on Friday and I was walking towards the end of the driveway... and what was slithering across the end but a nasty snake. It was white with brown curvy bands around it and probably 2-3 feet long. That did it for me- I turned right around and got my truck keys off the front table and drove down. It had already slithered into the bushes or I would have run it over.

What else to report... I have been riding a ton, Lauren is getting married (my cousin) in early September. I'm sure most of you in the family already know that. Tina/Scott/Samuel/Jacob are coming from Yellville in mid July, so I have been busy with helping to arrange that. They are here for a week and spending most of that time with Cary, but I'll be down there for about four days to help.

Music wise... I am listening to the new Coldplay stuff- Violet Hill and Viva la Vida... really cool songs... as is New Soul by Yael Naim. I used to love LoveSong but oh my goodness, they play it so much everywhere I am.... It's like Hey There Delilah was last fall, but that was actually my favorite song then, so I didn't mind. I can barely listen to it now though... It brings back so many memories. So that's how songs go with me... listen to them on repeat for a period of time, and then move on to new favorites.

Talk to you all soon!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

welcome back!

Anonymous said...

Hi, you should update your blog more often.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the 4.0!

Anonymous said...

We have missed your blog! So glad that you are back! That is great news about the grades. Put down Ft. Smith and Fayetteville on the list of places to go when you are in Arkansas. You are welcome to stay with us!

Ron & Carol

Anonymous said...

HOWS NIPOMO TREATING YOU, ISNT THAT A SMALL TOWN IN NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. DOES THAT MEAN YOUR GOING TO SCHOOL UP THERE?

Shannon said...

I just thought it was so sweet what you said about Arkansas! We'd love to see you again! I hope you can make it!!! It's good to hear about your updates. I have a blog now, so check it out!