01 July 2007

Sunday- Willow World tour



Sunday morning I woke up feeling SICK! My whole body ached and head was stuffed- I was coughing and gasping, but pressed forward with plans and a will not to complain.
We met at Katie's house at 9:30 and I got into Carol Ann's car with Nola to keep her company. We drove down the freeway and got off- when we got onto the country road, it NEVER ended... it was a good 20-30 minutes down this road until we got to Hunter's Chapel. The Chapel is where the family cemetery is and where all of the "magnificent seven" (the original seven children) went to church when they were children. Before the service, we looked through the graveyard and found the oldest Phillips tombstone as well as all of the more recent burials. The service was beautiful, with hymns that Bennie Jean selected (all seemed to be Granny Ellen's favorites, so the three CA sisters were weeping). Kitty made a wonderful speech at the end of the service-impromptu- that thanked the church and the members of the family. Hunter's Chapel has been there since 1850, so it was old even when they were children. Afterwards, we took pictures outside of the church and had the remaining founders/"MS" (magnificent seven) show us the different plots.



A quick stop at the Tulip Schoolhouse where the founders' mother- Isla- went to school, and...


We then went to the Ben Few Campgrounds to have lunch, where several of the founders went to camp when they were kids. We had sandwiches and cookies in the tabernacle and afterwards Mimi, Ashley, and I poked around the cabins and Kitchen Hall. They were truly unique- a small two "bedroom" cabin with small kitchen area along the back porch and a bathroom (which Kitty says she doesn't think was there before). Nancy and I walked down to the creek and the well. I just kept thinking throughout the trip that I would love to trail ride all through this area... this is MY idea of trail riding- beautiful grass pastures and old growth trees with dirt roads and cleared paths... not like in California, where "trail riding" is dusty, open, and icky. Let's also say that so far, and for the rest of the trip, there have not been any stops where there were actual toilets, so we improvised.



Several members split after this, but the majority "kept going". We stopped at the first Phillips Farm in Willow, which is no longer standing but we could see the oak tree through the brush that stood in front of the house. This is where all of the founders were born- It was very close to the church. The cool thing was the four Founders who were there- Bennie, Poppy, Kitty, and Mardell- were each answering questions and telling stories throughout the trip.


We stooped at the old barn where Poppy gave a history lesson on what each part of the barn was used for- and everyone was absolutely captivated. Where the horses lived, how many lived there, the troughs, bridles, saddle (still there!)... it was fascinating, and we had a hard time leaving the old barn. Outside, Poppy was showing me the pasture when Bennie asked, "Do you know what poison ivy looks like?". I replied, "No", and she said, "Just get out of there!" I guess poison ivy was everywhere, but about 12 hrs later, it doesn't appear that I have any rxn.


We stopped at the Phillips Trail, and then by Jenkins Ferry- the civil war site. It had been raining off and on throughout the day, clearing magically (or at least lightening) when we got out of the car. We then began our trip back to Little Rock, finally seeing a town for the first time in hours, and stopped by the family house (now a parking lot) in downtown Little Rock. The area has, unfortunately, fallen into disrepair with drugs and gangs in the past, but appears to be revitalizing as of late.



I came back to the hotel and fell out- took a long, soothing bath, watched TV, and gathered my strength for the "closing ceremonies". We had lost a few members, but still had a core group. We had just a fantastic time at Bennie's house (it was moved from Kathleen's due to illness- get well soon!) and I felt better as soon as I got there. We looked through old albums and saw us all when we were tiny kids playing together. Everyone was on tick and chigger patrol after a tick scare- Had ANOTHER birthday celebration (cake by Mimi and Ashley) and everyone exchanged info before we left. My family has extended several open invitations to visit and stay in our guest room. I feel like this reunion has been such a revitalization and strengthening of relationships within the family.



I am going to hit the sack soon, we are going up to Yellville tomorrow morning and I don't know if I will have a connection. I will post a full report if we don't, but I will try to keep you updated.




No comments: