28 July 2007

CdK Clinic- Day 2

This morning, I rode Smiley again with Charles. The lesson, at the beginning, was less guided- I was able to do more of my own choice, rather than yesterday when we began immediately with a 2o meter circle and slowing down. He suggested changes within the gait- lots of working to lengthen (4 strides) and back, shoulder in, etc. We also did, before the trot, some leg yields in walk that were much more sideways- more what I used to do- and that helped quite a bit. He also addressed the difference between the limbering up period and the warm up period.

During the ride, we worked a bit on the canter- half pass to counter canter, across the diagonal, three loop serpentine, etc. The simple changes were much better today- and my seat was much better in the canter especially.

The last 10 minutes, we really worked on getting Smiley to slow into a cadence. We-fou-nd-the-rhy-thm in the tr-ot and made the trot an actual collected trot with passage thoughts. This was sitting into the horse, halfhalting in the seat, and finding the rhythm in the trot- and sitting into that rhythm (if that makes sense). We would then send him forward from our seat ONLY for four strides-

We ended the ride with a perfectly square halt- no fixing needed- and let out the reins slightly- the horse must not move as you let out the reins at anytime. He stands until you ask him to move.

I watched many of the rides today- something I was NOT able to do yesterday. I did get a slight sunburn on my arms because it was so COLD this am I did not put on sunscreen (lazy). Smiley is just loving this farm- only will pass manure outside, not inside. He loves rolling in the sand and then standing in the sun next to Venturo. They are just happier than I have seen them in a very long time. Smiley got a hot liniment bath after our lesson with Radiol- brought back memories of HK.

I walked Venturo after the clinic was over in preparation for our lesson tomorrow.

I have met SO MANY fun, supportive people at the clinic- and am getting ready to head to the rider's dinner tonight with Charles.

No comments: